Monday, February 5, 2007

WE ARE THE DEAD [image: Kirby Captains] "Big Brother Is

WE ARE THE DEAD

Kirby Captains

"Big Brother Is Watching You". The iconic idea of maximum, permanent surveillance. Your every move, every facial expression could give you away as a Thought Criminal. Orwell's novel still fucks me up. I just re-read my old yellowing Penguin paperback edition, published in 1964 (yes, I finally finished the H.G.Wells tome, thanks for asking) and now I can't get that hellish vision of the future out of my mind (actually, it's a hellish vision of the past, but let's assume it's a permanent near future). Orwell was a fucking genius. So then I remembered the film, starring John Hurt and Richard Burton. Haven't seen it for years, but a quick search on Youtube came up with a few clips, including the one where Winston and Julia are finally nailed by the Thought Police. It's faithful to the novel in almost very detail...



Little known fact: Somewhere out there, there's an alternative earth (no. 744, to be precise) where Ingsoc really did take over the world. It's even got it's own version of Captain Britain. He made a very brief appearance in this scene at Merlin's funeral, in issue 13 of Mighty World Of Marvel, which, appropriately enough, was published in 1984. Script: Alan Moore, art: Alan Davis.

(click to enlarge, stud-muffin)

I jut thought you might like to know that..

No comments:

Post a Comment